Making your own candles: the step-by-step recipe!
Burning a scented candle is already a real pleasure, but it’s even better than making them yourself! In this article, you will discover how to make home-made scented candles.
Take the opportunity to discover AUGET, our brand of scented candles, 100% made in France.
Whether you want to put it in your home or give it as a gift to a loved one, the homemade candle is a great decorating idea. You can make it at home whether or not you are a DIY enthusiast. In this article, we explain how to make your own homemade candles.
The different steps to prepare a homemade candle
Before you start making your own homemade candle, you need to choose its shape. Generally speaking, there are three types of homemade candles: pillar, container and votive candles.
In this tutorial we will learn how to make a scented candle in a glass container.
The material for making a DIY-style homemade candle
Before you start making the candle, you need the right materials such as :
- A container: choose a glass container that is thick enough to prevent the glass from breaking once the candle is lit.
- Wax: Choose a mixture of mineral and vegetable wax for better combustion. (waxes can be mixed beforehand). As for the number of grams of wax you need, it’s quite simple, it depends on your container, we’ll talk about it a little later.
- Wicks: 100% braided cotton (lead and chlorine free) to prevent soot from settling on the glass rim. If you wish, you can use wooden wicks. The type of wick has an effect on the combustion.
- Scented oils (or concentrated), to be chosen according to your tastes that you can buy on specialized sites.
An aluminium brau (admit it, you don’t know what it is eh?) 🙂
- A saucepan
- A scale (which allows you to weigh by the gram)
- A thermometer
- A syrup bottle
- A blouse
- A pencil to hold the wick
- Paper towels to protect the surface
You can find affordable candle kit on amazon !
Do you have everything? Let’s go to the next step!
How do I melt the wax?
Nothing could be simpler!
For the calculations, let’s assume that your candle glass has 100 grams of content. AUGET candles have 180 grams of wax for example. And very often, a scented candle contains 8 to 14% of concentrate or essential oils, depending on the strength of the fragrance. At AUGET, we put 10% fragrance in our candles (except for the Artist, which is 12%).
So to recap, to make a standard 100 gram candle at 10%:
- Weigh 90 grams of wax
- Weigh 10 grams of concentrate or scented oil.
If you have a 150-gram container, that will be 15 grams of concentrate or scented oil… Does the cross-shaped product remind you of anything?
Let’s go back to the preparation of the wax:
- Put the wax in your aluminum brau
- Heat the bain marie in your pan to 80 degrees.
Temperature control is very important when making a candle, use your thermometer to get the desired temperature.
How do you pour your candle into its container?
- Once the wax is liquid, take a syrup bottle, weigh the wax with the concentrate (or scented oil) in the syrup bottle.
- Then, close the syrup bottle and shake it to mix well.
Pour the mixture into the container at ¾ and return the rest of the syrup bottle to the water bath.
- Take the wick, work it so that it is straight and plunge it into the centre of the container.
- Hold it with a pencil.
- Wait until the wax is cold.
- It is necessary to know that a candle runs in 2 times to avoid the hollows.
- Once it is cold, pour the rest of the syrup bottle and center the wick.
- Once the candle has cooled, cut the wick to 0.5 cm.
And that’s it! 🙂
Do not hesitate to comment and ask your questions if you want a clarification! We will be happy to answer them!